Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a very innovative and noble thought by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to promote and shift the focus towards the ‘Save the girl child’ campaign. It is the best scheme launched by far to promote the girl empowerment and to protect them and provide them all the rights and benefits that they deserve.
The targets for the Pradhan Mantri Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (PMSSY) scheme are?
This scheme is developed and launched for the girl children in India only. The deprived Indian female children who are unable to enjoy the rights that they deserve are the main focus of this scheme.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account Rules & Features
- Account can be opened by Parents or Legal Guardian only
- One Sukanya Samriddhi Account per girl child can be opened.
- Account can be opened for girl child under 10 years of age only.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account for adopted girl child can be opened also.
- Account for two girl child is allowed under the scheme
- The current interest rate in Sukanya Samriddhi Account is 8.6%
- A minimum of Rs 1,000 can be invested in a financial year.
- Interest earned via Sukanya Samriddhi Account is exempted from Tax under Section 80C.
- A maximum sum of Rs 1,50,000 is allowed for investment per year
- Transfer of account from Post Office to Bank or vice versa is allowed with minimal fees of Rs 100
- The account will mature after 21 years from the date of opening the account
- Birth Child of girl child is the main document required to open the account, other documents include id proof of parents or guardian passport size photo of both girl child and parents/guardian
What is the age limit up to which a person can apply for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
There are certain age limits for the application under the Pradhan Mantri Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (PMSSY) scheme. The minimum age for the enrolment under this scheme is 0 years, i.e., the girl child is a newly born infant. And the maximum limit for the opening of the Sukanya Samriddhi Account is 10 years.
What is the right time to apply for the scheme?
There is no specific time to enrol for this scheme. You can apply for an account any time throughout the year making sure that the age limit is taken into considerations.
What is the limit for the number of accounts in a single family?
There is a limit of maximum of 3 accounts for the first three individual girl children. If there’s a single girl child then you can open only one account and two accounts for two daughters each. But if you have more than three daughters then you can open the account for the first three eldest daughters.
Who is the responsible person for the operation of the account?
The account can be operated by the biological parents or legally assigned guardians only. When the female child reaches the age of 18 years, she can operate the account by herself but not before that.
What are the installments to be paid under this scheme?
The minimum amount of premium to be paid yearly is of Rs. 1000 in each account and the instalment for paying the premium can be a multiple of Rs. 100. A maximum of Rs. 1, 50,000 can be paid in a financial year. The deposits can be made anytime throughout the year.