Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) is a scheme of the central government which was launched on 1 April 2008.
Under this scheme the central government provides a cashless insurance for hospitalization for the public and private sector.
Initially it was designed to cover only the BPL families but now it has been expanded to cover other defined categories of unorganized workers. The premium cost for enrolled beneficiaries under this scheme is shared by the central government and the state government. This scheme has a target of to cover 70 million households by the end of 12th year plan up to 2017.
Features of Rashtriya Swathya Bima Yojana (RSBY)
The central government has set up many objectives and the features regarding this scheme.
- This scheme is designed as a business model for a social sector scheme with incentive built for each stake holder.
- It enables the beneficiaries free for the choice of public and private hospitals.
- The beneficiary families have to pay only Rs 750 per year so the government is able to provide quality health care to the people of Below Poverty Line (BPL).
- The families who are eligible to take the benefit of this scheme will be provided smart cards which contain all the details of the beneficiary.
Eligibility for this scheme
The central government started this scheme to provide the compensation to the families which are discussed below.
- The BPL families whose information is included in the BPL list prepared by the state government.
- Building and other construction worker registered with the Welfare Boards can apply for this scheme.
- The MNREGA workers who have worked for more than 15 days during the preceding financial year.
- The eligible families have to come to the enrollment station and the identity of the household head needs to be confirmed by the authorized government officials.
The central government started this scheme to provide the financial help to the poor people in the hospitalization in private or in government sector.
At every state the central government sets up State Nodal Agency (SNA) that is responsible for implementing, monitoring, supervision and part financing by scheme by co-ordinating the Insurance Company.